*/

First High Church Experience



Today was one of the lasts Sundays that we have "free" before field work congregation will be assigned to us. I thought it would be interesting to experience a "high church" liturgical style which we've never experienced before, and so we did...

We've attended Redeemer Lutheran Church, Ft. Wayne. What a wonderful experience! It was beautiful to observe the way the service was conducted and how the people participated with chanted responses and hymns, all adorned with organ, trumpets, and violins. An unique and rich experience! 



Some of the highlighted moments of the service were the procession of the cross, kneeling, the reading of the Gospel from the middle of the congregation, or the reverential way to institute the Lord's supper.

Since the head of the procession was a crucifix, it reminded me that we should focus our attention in Christ crucified. I couldn't avoid to think about "And I, when I came to you, brothers,did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." (1 Corinthians 2:1-2)

The kneeling was another clear reminder that "Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:9-11)

The reading of the Gospel from the midst of the congregation (liturgist was in the middle of the central aisle) represented [to me] that Christ and his message was at the "heart" of the congregation and that the Gospel message was proclaimed directly to those who were gathered around the bible.

These are some of my thoughts about the "high church" experience. Indeed a very rich one that I would highly recommend to all my brothers and sisters!

***







0 comentaris: