*/

Meet The Keinbaum Family





Hello! My name is Santi, and I am married to Alex. We've been more than blessed with three children: Maria (10), Santi Jr. (9), and Salva (7). Some years ago, when my family and I lived in Barcelona, Spain, I felt deeply moved to become a pastor and serve the people of Spain, particularly, to the people of the region of Catalonia. 

Perhaps you are already aware that in Spain there's a mission church, the "Iglesia Evangelica Luterana Espanola." It's a mission church with about 70 members in a 46 million country! It's fair to say that Spain is like a spiritual desert. A lot of people are completely disconnected from Christianity, others just worship other gods, or simply hangs with any kind of system of beliefs. This is for sure a good topic for a future post... In Spain there's no Lutheran seminary, no Lutheran University or School, not even one church building. Having access to a solid theological training is of tremendous importance if one is willing, with the help of God, to reach the lost and hurting people. However, that solid training was not an option for me; it was impossible...

In spite of that, with God all things are possible (Matt. 19:26). In July 4th 2009, the internationally reknown A Capella Choir from Concordia University, Nebraska, arrived to Sant Sadurni (Barcelona area) to help the Spanish mission church by spreading the Word through the music. There is no doubt for me that God used the A Capella choir in order to deliver a miracle for me, that is to travel  to the US and get that important theological training at Concordia Theological Seminary. The A Capella choir and the way I received the "miracle" that I mentioned before, deserves an exclusive post. Look for it.

As a family, and right before we moved to the US, we've been put through hardships and many challenges to overcome. Our decision to move to the US was not well received by most of our family members and friends. The lack of understanding of what the Christian faith is about plus the assurance in the human reasoning led many people to accuse us of taking the wrong way. Some tried to push us away from what we believe is the way the Lord has prepared to us. However, through hardships come the opportunity to learn and grow. While people were opposing to our plans to move to the US for my pastoral training, Alex and I had the opportunity to deeply think and question things like what it is to be Christan, or what would be the impact in our children if we move to an English speaking country, or theorize about how the family and friend relationship would be at the distance, and so on... To sum up, those hardships brought strength to my family, and in some way, prepared us to take the big step. Jesus said “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." (Matt 16:24), so we did! We took a plane and moved to the US in order to continue our (His) project. 

We arrived on December 10th 2010. Our minds were overflowed with many many questions and insecurities. We were about to experience a huge cultural shock. Different language, different foods, different way to relate to people, different custumes, different everything... Our kids did not speak English at all! It's often said that "kids are like sponges," and that is so true. In less than 6 months Maria,  Santi, and Salva were fluent in English. Even a friend told us that Salva has a perfect Nebraskan accent! The kids attended Trinity Lutheran School where they learned a lot and made a bunch of new friends.

In January of 2011, Alex started classes at Southeast Community College in Lincoln, NE, where she got her Associates of Arts degree. She graduated with "High Honors" in March of this year (2013). She studied hard while she took care of us all, as a mother and wife. What a blessing she is to us!

As for me, the plans were to attend Concordia, Nebraska, but before doing that I had to have a TOEFL test, a GED diploma, and the ACT test done, and so I did. I submitted all the paper work to Concordia University, Nebraska, in order to be accepted for the Fall semester of 2011. In August of that year, I received an acceptance letter from Concordia University, Nebraska and with it a very precious gift: I was the recipient of a full international scholarship!! God is good!! After I took two years of classes there, I sent an application to Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, where I was fully accepted as a new student starting in the Fall quarter of this year!! I am now at the doors of receiving that solid theological training!! Going to the seminary is the main reason why my family and I came to the US.

Finally, we've moved to Fort Wayne, IN, a little bit over a month ago. The kids are attending Concordia Elementary School. A great Christian school where we met new brothers and sisters who are assisting us in a very loving way. I am grateful to God for the Concordia Elementary School & Church family! Maria is now in 5th, Santi is in 4th, and Salva is in 2nd. Even though classes started on August 19th, they have already made a bunch of new friends!!

Alex is currently attending IPFW University here in Fort Wayne. She is working on her English degree. After we return to Barcelona, my plan is to preach and teach (and chances are that will be an unpaid position), I will probably have time available for a "regular" part-time job. However, Alex's degree in English will be very helpful. She will be prepared to have a good job and therefore our family will have a sufficient income, Lord willing, of course.

As I have told you before, I am about to start classes at Concordia Theological Seminary!! Classes start on September 9th. I'm looking forward to post some pictures during my first week of class!! 

To conclude, my family has nothing special but one thing: We are God's children by faith in Jesus. That's the only thing that make us special. We strive to do our best to serve our Lord Jesus Christ, knowing that we all, the Christian people, are being led by the Holy Spirit and that we are working together as members of the same body, to serve the same and only God. You, my Christian friend, you and I are in the same team!! Let's work together so that, by His grace, we can "...go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I [Jesus] have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19-20) 


 

2 comentaris:

  1. Grandes cosas ha hecho el Señor con nosotros; estaremos alegres.Sal. 126:3
    Bendiciones.

    ResponElimina
  2. ¡Qué bendiciones tiene tu familia! Oro para vosotros. ¡Dios sea con vosotros!

    ResponElimina